Learners Permit Form Requirements
- TLSAE Course: Proof that you've successfully completed the Florida Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course
- Parental Consent Form: If you are under 18 years of age, you'll need a Parental Consent Form. This must be signed in the presence of the driver license examiner or notarized if your parent or guardian will not be present.
Florida DMV Written Test
You must successfully pass the Florida Road Rules and Road Signs exam. This written test can be completed online or at the DMV office. This is a written exam that covers the following:
- You'll receive 20 multiple choice questions on the Rules of the Road. You must answer at least 15 correct to pass.
- You'll receive 20 multiple choice questions on the Road Signs. You must answer at least 15 correct to pass.
We recommend studying the Florida Driver's License handbook or completing a Learners Permit Practice Test.
In order to comply with the requirements of the REAL ID Act, anyone who applies for a license in person must bring documents to show proof of identity, social security number, legal residence, place and date of birth. Note: You must provide at least two documents to show proof of residence.
Florida Driver's License: Proof of Identity
For U.S. Citizens:
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport
- Original or Certified copy of a birth certificate
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS
- Certificate of Citizenship
For cases where the current name and the name on the primary identity document are different, you should also bring:
- Court ordered name change document
- Marriage certificate, issued by the courts and/or
- Divorce decree, issued by the courts
- Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card - I-551 for Lawful Permanent Residents
- Valid Passport for non-immigrants except for asylum applicants and refugees
- Other government issued document showing your full name
- Department of Homeland Security document showing proof of lawful presence
- If your name has changed by marriage/divorce, you must have your name changed on your Citizen and Immigration Services (CIS) documents.
Both Citizens and Non-Citzens will need to bring:
- Proof of social security number, if issued, includes one of the following:
- Social Security card (must be an original in your current full name)
- W-2 form (not handwritten)
- Paycheck stub
- Any 1099 (not handwritten)
- Documentation from the IRS containing your social security number
- 2 Proofs of Residential Address (A current license or ID cannot be used as proof of residence)
- Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement
- Florida Voter Registration Card
- Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
- Florida Boat Registration or Title (if living on a boat/houseboat)
- A statement from a parent, step-parent or legal guardian of an applicant. The parent or guardian must reside at the same residence address, accompany the applicant and present "Proof of Residence Address"
- A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application
- Automobile Payment Booklet
- Selective Service Card
- Medical or health card with address listed
- Current homeowner's insurance policy or bill
- Current automobile insurance policy or bill
- Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year
- Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
- W-2 form or 1099 form
- Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
- A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house verifying that the customer resides at the shelter address
- Utility bills, not more than two months old
- Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, or investment account statements, not more than two months old
- Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies including city and county agencies)
- Transients - Sexual Offender/Predator/Career Offender - FDLE Registration form completed by local sheriff's department